Defense Travel Management Office - The DoD Center for Travel Excellenceimage of a map with lines representing travel routes
green light DTS is available.    green light EWTS is available.    Login to DTS

Allowances > Frequently Asked Questions > Dislocation Allowance (DLA)

Dislocation Allowance (DLA)
Frequently Asked Questions
Updated: 10/30/18

1. May I receive DLA to help with relocation expenses when moving a household due to official PCS travel order?

2. Where are the JTR eligibility rules for DLA payment if I have an official PCS travel order?

3. How much DLA do I receive?

4. Can I receive more than one DLA payment in the same year?

5. Am I authorized DLA when moving from my home of record to my first PDS?

6. Is DLA payable if separating from the Service when performing PCS travel to the home of selection or home of record (HOS or HOR) from the old permanent duty station (PDS)?

7. Is a Reserve Component or Guard member who regularly, or repeatedly comes on and leaves active duty eligible for DLA?

8. Is DLA payable if performing an authorized PCS move without relocating dependents?

9. I received a PCS travel order and relocated my family based on that order. That PCS order was revoked but I already moved the household to the new PDS. I must return to my prior PDS and also must move my family for a second time. Am I authorized only one DLA when I had to move my family twice?

10. When is a 'Secondary DLA' payable?

11. Is DLA payable if I’m ordered to move in or out of Government quarters with no PCS travel authorization?

12. What DLA is paid when a Service member is forced to move due to a Base Realignment and Closure (BRAC)?



Connect:    Defense Travel Dispatch Newsletter    Joint Travel Regulation JTR    BAH Calculator BAH    Calculator Per Diem    COLA    OHA Calculator OHA    Training Training    RSS Feeds RSS Feeds    Travel Assistance Center