Other than Economy-/Coach-Class Transportation
DTMO provides oversight of the Department's Other Than Economy-/Coach-Class Transportation (i.e., Premium Class Travel) policy. DoD policy requires economy-/coach-class travel accommodations be used when performing official government travel. Other Than Economy-/Coach-Class Transportation (any travel other than economy-/coach-class) at government expense is permitted on an exception basis only.
The Joint Travel Regulations (JTR), Appendix H, includes Decision Support Tools to assist in determining if Other Than Economy-/Coach-Class Transportation can be used. In addition, the Other Than Economy-/Coach-Class Transportation Approval Checklist is required when making a determination on authorization/approval for the use of Other Than Economy-/Coach-Class Transportation. The checklist must be used and submitted as part of the approval documentation and serves as a record of accountability in which the Approving Official must certify that all decision factors and other alternatives were considered prior to recommending approval. Important items to note:
- Authorization must be obtained on a case-by-case basis.
- Blanket authorization and justification for Other Than Economy-/Coach-Class Travel is prohibited.
- Other Than Economy-/Coach-Class Transportation must be authorized in advance of the travel. If extenuating circumstances or emergency situations prevent advanced authorization, a traveler has 7 days within the completion of travel to obtain approval.
- Other Than Economy-/Coach-Class Transportation, due to a medical disability/special need, may only be used when there is no other means to accommodate a traveler’s condition, such as bulkhead/aisle seating or use of two adjoining seats. A traveler’s condition must be certified by a competent medical authority and authorized by an Approving Official.
- Failure to receive approval for Other Than Economy-/Coach-Class Transportation may result in a traveler being financially responsible for costs over the economy/coach airfare.
The Reporting Offices (approval authority) must ensure that all trips involving Other Than Economy-/Coach Class fares have been approved in accordance with all regulations.
Reporting Other than Economy-/Coach-Class Transportation
DoD Components are required to report Other Than Economy-/Coach-Class Transportation through the Premium Class Travel Reporting Tool as directed in the Memorandum on Premium Class Travel Reporting Requirement - September 7, 2007. As of April 2011, DoD policy no longer requires the reporting of Other Than Economy-/Coach-Class Transportation when the Other than Economy-/Coach-Class airfare is less than the economy-/coach-class airfare or the lowest unrestricted economy-/coach-class airfare.
The Premium Class Travel Reporting Tool automates the collection of Other Than Economy-/Coach-Class Transportation accommodations as required by the Deputy Secretary of Defense. The tool collects data from Commercial Travel Offices, sends it to the DTMO for validation, and forwards it to the appropriate Reporting Office or the Service/Agency Representative(s) to ensure the trip was approved. Reporting Offices are able to upload approval documentation so that the Services and Agencies have a central location for all approvals.
The Premium Class Travel Reporting Tool is housed in the DTMO's web portal, Passport (https://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/Passport To register for the tool, you must first have a Passport account. If you already have a Passport account, go to https://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/PCTRTRegv3 to for access to the Premium Class Reporting Tool. Once registered and approved, you can access the tool via Passport.